程序性:是时候让品牌掌控局面了?

在过去6到12个月里, I’ve noticed a trend beginning to gather pace in relation to programmatic media buying. With digital media spend now making up the majority of many global brands media budgets, 一些品牌营销人员, 第一次, starting to question the levels of transparency and value being delivered by the in-house trading desks of their advertising agencies.

大量的程序性媒体支出, 我猜至少有85%, is currently being handled by agency in-house trading desks, with a small 但 extremely vibrant sector of independent media buyers and media buying technology providers making up the remaining 15 per cent of the market.

罗布森digilant -帕特里克- 640×
There are lots of perfectly good reasons why many major brands continue to hand control of their programmatic budgets (which often equate to tens of millions of pounds) over to their agencies’ trading desks without question. As the programmatic ad market has developed rapidly, larger agencies have invested heavily in their trading desks to ensure that their massive media procurement machines work effectively, providing their clients with access to a huge inventory of ads via global media exchanges and their own publisher networks.

然而, any brand of scale will be aware that while much of the programmatic media buying activity organised by their agency delivers the desired results, a significant portion of that spending consistently underperforms. 确定了这, it would be natural to assume that the brand’s marketing managers would be keen to test different approaches in relation to the poorly-performing areas, 例如, 购物者营销, 但, 事实上, 许多品牌选择什么都不做.

From anecdotal evidence, the reasons for this are usually political rather than practical. While alternative suppliers and technologies exist to allow brands to take a far greater degree of control over their programmatic spending, many fear the consequences of rocking the boat when it comes their long-standing agency relationships. I’ve had senior executives from FTSE 100 companies tell me off-the-record that to go against their agency could literally cost them their jobs.

然而, I believe that we have now reached a point where the commercial opportunities presented by alternative media buying strategies are starting to tip the balance of fear for brands towards re-allocating at least a portion of their programmatic media budget to independent media buyers or simply towards handling it themselves with the help of new software tools.

The good news for brands is that this isn’t an all-or-nothing, black-or-white proposition. I would argue that a brand can benefit massively from taking five, ten or fifteen percent of their programmatic budget out of their agency’s hands in order to try something a little bit different. As well as potentially boosting the performance of that under-performing portion of their budget, the additional insights about the contemporary programmatic marketplace will undoubtedly help to inform the brand’s decision-making in relation to the remainder of their spending and give them a platform from which to better assess their agency trading desk’s overall performance.
在CA88, we work closely with major brands to facilitate the process of regaining control over programmatic spending, 作为他们信任的编程伙伴. The technical capabilities of our unique solution combine a demand-side platform (DSP) and data management platform (DMP) that connect brands with relevant audiences by activating first party, 第三方和我们自己的专有数据.

There’s a very good reason why we at CA88 can comment knowledgably on the workings of agency trading desks: we used to be one! 尽管, 总是完全独立, we were originally born in the tranches of a spin-out from a global advertising agency, CA88 became fully independent in 2012 as therefore fully aware of the potential conflict-of-interest that lies at the heart of the ‘in-house trading desk’ model became apparent.
CA88现在是一家付费媒体公司, 作为ispDigital集团公司的一部分, which also includes Acceso (earned media) and Antevenio (owned media), we and provides provide brands with customised cross channel marketing solutions at the intersection of earned, 自有和付费媒体. The group has a presence in 12 countries across the globe, 从伦敦到洛杉矶工作, 米兰到墨西哥城, so we have good reason to believe that the trend towards brands shaking up their programmatic spending arrangements will continue to gather pace internationally throughout 2016 and beyond.

This content was supported by CA88 但 all content is editorially independent.

喜欢你所看到的? Join the 500+ clients that have partnered with CA88.